Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Winter Funk


I don't know about everyone else, but this winter weather really has put a damper on my bike riding! I am really struggling to find the motivation to pile on layer after layer to ride my bike. The racing season is just around the corner, but it looks as if I'm going to get a late start. The winter blues have become a yearly event for me, but this year I've decided not to worry about it too much. I've been going to the gym, going for walks, occasional jogs, and riding when the weather permits. I feel good and I'm enjoying the change of pace.

I've done quite a bit of reading about how the body changes once you enter your 30's and beyond. Specifically, how the body responds to long periods of rest and cross training. Most experts agree that athletes over 30 don't need the big break in the off season. In fact, it is a bad idea. As you get older, the body takes longer to get back into shape, so keeping some intensity year round is a good idea. Plus, it's a good idea to lift weights year round in order to prevent permanent muscle loss.

I'm not an expert, but I've been going to the gym twice a week for the past several months. I like the way my body looks and feels. I've started to acclimate to how it feels to ride a bike and lift weights. At first it felt like I was pedaling squares, but it's better now.

Have any of you tried anything new this off season? What are your goals for your fitness for 2011? Let's hear it.

Image retrieved from cksinfo.com

No comments: