Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Looking Good on and off the Bike, Cycling Style Guide

I will admit, I like nice clothes both casual and cycling. There was a time in my life where $100 jeans were the norm and my clothing budget wasn’t a budget at all. However, just because I have calmed down in my regular clothes purchasing doesn’t mean that my cycling wardrobe has skimped at all. I literally have a closet of cycling clothes and I routinely donate or sell stuff on a yearly basis. There is stuff in my “closet” that I will probably never wear on my current bike, reason behind that is my current bike is white, red, and black and a lot of my older clothes are white and blue, which just so happens to be the color of the bike I raced on last year. Here is a very important rule people, match your jersey and bibs, notice I didn’t say shorts more on that later, to your bike. Some of us have team clothing that we can’t help if it doesn’t match our bikes, but for the love of God, if you buy clothing to wear while cycling please make sure it matches each other. I really love the Rabobank jersey with the Liquigas bibs, wow that is a look that will make your eyes bleed. Also, you will look less like a freak riding down the road than we already do, even if I happen to take pride in my freak status. If you have the means, try to match your helmet, sunglasses, socks, gloves, and shoes to your kit and bike. Nothing looks more “Pro” than everything matching. Look good, feel fast, be fast should be your motto. Now on to the aforementioned shorts vs. bibs contention, please invest in some good bibs. They fit better, will be more comfortable and most importantly will prevent any other riders from having to look at that bare section of your skin where your jersey doesn’t quite cover your lower back, conveniently preventing a very unsightly tan line there. Also, bib straps are to be worn under your jersey, not over them, I don’t care how many times you have seen Borat and his insane bib bathing suit! There is also a proper way to wear a helmet, the front of it should fall just above your brow and be securely in place. It is not a yarmulke sitting on the back of your head even if you did miss service that week. Clothes also wear out people, just like tires. If you wouldn’t ride down the road with a big hole in your tire, you shouldn’t leave your house with your clothing held together with safety pins. It is just not a good look… on anyone! That about covers on the bike, in summary; if you can match your clothing with your equipment with your bike, you are golden, at the minimum try to match your clothing with your equipment keeping one color scheme across the board.

Now the fun part, off the bike, yes I know we are all very guilty of these infractions at times, but let’s try to move past them. Before I get thrown under the bus, I have a little disclaimer, I used to race Triathlons so I know the culture and that almost every race gives you something to wear in the goody bag, BUT please, please do not wear your race t-shirts on the same day of the race. They are souvenirs and should be worn when you get home or at a future race, do not become a clone of the masses all wearing the same shirt hanging out after the race. Here is a recent phenomenon, one of my favorites, do not wear compression tights, socks, gloves and any other compression thing in clear view of the public. It is just not good, you can wear them, just strategically hide them under a warm up suit or jeans or anything for that matter. Be proud that you are an athlete, but there is no reason to make it so obvious that you are going to a race or are leaving a race that any casual observer can pick you out of a crowd. Be yourself, your appearance on and off the bike should reflect your personality. I have been guilty of all these crimes in the past, but I have seen the light and hope that my words reach you too.

No comments: