Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Cycling



All my training this season has been in preparation for competing in the Tour of America's Dairyland, 12 consecutive days of cycling races in the Milwaukee, WI area. I have done well in these races in the past years, so I had a certain level of expectation coming in. My fitness was on target, and my Cervelo bicycle, Zipp wheels, and equipment were top of the line. I would be racing composite for a strong local team, ISCorp, and life's affairs were in order for me to take off for the races.

As the days have racing have progressed, my results have not been what I was hoping for. Twice I have been happy to finish. The prize money is good, so some professional racers have come in and won the vast majority of the money. Rainy, cold weather has been less than desirable and made some of the courses really dangerous. Additionally, my brand new car broke down, and I have gone through a family emergency that will need considerable attention immediately upon my return.

I have considered feeling sorry for myself and have definitely experienced a lot of frustration, but at the end of the day I have a lot to be thankful for. I have the best travel partner you could ask for, my bike has worked to perfection, and my teammates are a great group of women. I have had the opportunity to mentor some beginning racers, enjoyed meeting the couple who hosted us, visited with old friends, been encouraged by Outspokin friends at home, and maybe even lost a few pounds!

All in all this trip has encouraged me to refocus and remember that even though I am very competing at the highest level, cycling is still a hobby. Cycling has given me the opportunity to meet many great people and see parts of the country I most likely would never have seen. There are only three days of racing left, and I plan to give it my all. Maybe I will have some great results and maybe not. Either way, I will be home soon, resume my life, and start training for the next race!

No comments: